Win Server 2022 on Nutanix - UEFI / Secure Boot?

Hi Friends!

I’m working on a new catalog item for Windows Server 2022 and am coming across waaaay more issues than I did with setting up Server 2019… I see Morpheus recently added support for UEFI BIOS on Nutanix, but what about Secure Boot? Apparently I can’t load these things up without that option being selected… Here’s the option on the Nutanix-side:

Any idea how to set this on the morpheus side to spin things up with this enabled? Currently it just fails at the provision phase if I request it with UEFI enabled and, as expected, if I don’t select it it fails to boot, showing me the awesome nutanix 2048 game / error page (high score of 1024 so far… only getting better the more this process fails lol)

Thanks in advance :smiley:

Are you utilizing the Nutanix Prism cloud plugin? I know that was listed alpha and has secure boot identified as a pending work item.

If you are I believe we’re targeting next months releases to have it fully production ready.

1 Like

If you are using the native integration direct to Prism Element, when you check the UEFI it will set both the UEFI and Secure boot on the Nutanix side. The issue is that Nutanix requires the machine type to be changed to Q35 which we are not sending. I believe this just got fixed internally and should get pushed to a release soon. A work around would be to create your Windows image using legacy boot until the fix is out.

If using the Prism Central plugin then with Windows it is not tagging the payload as sysprep so it will deploy as uefi and secure boot but wont currently customize. Like Chris stated above this plugin is being worked on and should have this added soon.

1 Like

Thanks guys for the fast response - it’s exactly the insight I needed to continue on with this :slight_smile:

I’m curious about this… I don’t believe we’re using any plugin unless you mean the api integration. We have it appearing as this under our clouds:

It’s connected via API v3. Is there another option besides this?

The other option mentioned would be using the Prism Central plugin which can be found here.
https://share.morpheusdata.com/morpheus-nutanix-prism/about

This connects to Prism Central rather than the individual Element cluster. You need to download it and install it under Administration - integrations - plugins.

Hope that helps.

1 Like