✅ Support VMware Content Library Template Versioning

Headline:
Make use of the template versioning feature added to Content Libraries in VMware version 7

Description:
Currently, Morpheus supports deployment of instances from OVF/OVA within Content Libraries in a VMware cloud. However, since version 7, VMware has a new workflow for deploying templates from Content Libraries that includes versioning support.

Please see this VMware blog post for information on this feature: https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2020/04/vsphere-7-content-library.html

This would be a preferable way to deploy new instances in a VMware cloud.

1 Like

Oh wow I didn’t realize they implemented this difference and oddly only found the same article you posted here. It’s really odd that VMware does versioning for the OVF/OVA route which is how it uploads templates (also odd).

Honestly, the VMware template versioning is kind of meh functionally and hope they fix or enhance it a ton for v8.

Question, will that template functionality replicate the template to other VDCs/vSpheres (I don’t have a large enough env to test personally)? It seems like it won’t which I thought would defeat the purpose of the Content Library.

That said, totally on board expanding template syncing in Morpheus. I was poking around to see what I can mock up on my side. I did notice I can at least deploy the different versions but I think we’re aiming at deploying the latest pointer every time.

Content libraries created in one vCenter can be “subscribed” to from another vCenter, effectively syncing them. We just had a discussion about this today, wonder if you’re still thinking about this? :slight_smile:

Vm-templates deployment support will be in 6.3.0 in October. This is functioning however there are some weird caveats with content library vm-templates…

1. You cannot specify thick/thin provisioning types as this is not supported by the api. It will inherit the settings from the template
  2. You MUST specify a folder or set a default folder target for vm deployment. It is NOT able to be deployed into the root folder in vmware (another API limitation).
1 Like