- Create a VM with marketplace windows 11 image and set the security type as standard as shown below:
Once the VM has been created, console into the VM via RDP.
Disable Privacy Settings Experience at First Sign-in (Optional)
a. In Windows 11 device, click Start type gpedit.msc in search to run the Local Group Policy Editor.
b. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > OOBE. Double click on the Don’t launch privacy settings experience on user logon policy to edit it.
c. Select Enabled, click Apply and OK.
Open a Command Prompt window as an administrator.
Delete the panther directory (C:\Windows\Panther). (If the folder is in use, restart vm and try to delete the folder again)
Verify that CD/DVD-ROM is enabled by checking the below registry setting. If it is disabled, the Windows VM will get stuck on out-of-box experience (OOBE).
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\cdrom\start (Value 4 = disabled, expected value 1 = automatic) Make sure it is set to 1.
- Then on command prompt change the directory to %windir%\system32\sysprep, and then run the following command:
sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown
- Run the following Azure cli commands to deallocate the VM:
az vm deallocate -g <resourceGroupName> -n <VmName>
- Check the status of the VM and make sure it has been deallocated as shown below:
- Run the following Azure cli commands to Generalize the VM:
az vm generalize -g <resourceGroupName> -n <VmName>
- Click on ‘Capture’ to create an image.
- Add the image into image gallery as shown below:
When the image capture deployment has completed, refresh the azure cloud in Morpheus to sync the new image.
Find and edit the image in Morpheus and set the following settings.
- Make sure that the administrator password has been set under Administration >> Settings >> Provisioning (tab) >> Windows Settings
- Create a new node type with the newly imported windows 11 image and attach it to a layout to use this image for provisioning.
Please note: that on Azure the VM will be provisioned with user ‘azureadmin’ and the password will be what was set in the above Windows Settings section.