Fix: Attempted upgrade of Morpheus however it still says it is on the previous version

Hello,

I was recently working with a customer who was having issues upgrading the Morpheus UI version. When the application booted after upgrade it still said it was on the previous version. I wanted to document the root cause and resolution for this here for future reference for other users.

The upgrade was failing because the package inflation for the new Morpheus version was failing, and therefore the old morpheus-ui.war file was not getting replaced with the new version.
The customer was getting the following warning when attempting to install the latest package:

sudo rpm -Uhv morpheus-appliance-6.0.3-1.sles15.x86_64.rpm
Preparing...             ################################# [100%]
    installing package morpheus-appliance-6.0.3-1.sles15.x86_64 needs 23MB on the /opt filesystem

The package manager is complaining that it needs 23MB on the /opt filesystem.

As there was not sufficient space the inflation was not working and therefore the upgrade was failing. The solution was to add enough space to /opt so that the inflation could operate. Please note that we have a storage calculator that covers recommendations for /opt here: Requirements — Morpheus Docs documentation.

Please also note that you will likely need to give a lot more space than what the warning indicates. For example 23MB is potentially unrealistic, as it is only looking at the compressed size requirements, and it is likely a lot more space is required.

I hope this helps other people in the future!

Thanks,

Chris

1 Like