Starting a VM on Morpheus

Hi Team,
Just curios with the self-service on the Morpheus system.

Can a specific user to limit some permission to Start / Stop VM only for specified VM. (when a VM are in the discovered mode).

Best Regards

Hello @Sunny,

I don’t believe you can limit starting and stopping a VM specifically, if it is either and instance or a discovered VM. There are permissions for many of the actions in an instance but there would not be one of them.

An instance has an Owner assigned, which is a Group. If you are part of this Group, you inherently get some base actions, such as turning off and on the VM as well as a handful of others. You can change the Roles to provide permissions to the Groups themselves, which you can assign Read for example to a role, for a specific group, which the the person would lose access to all actions, including starting and stopping.

That said, you would still not be able to set those actions for a particular user against a single VM, unless you assign a group as the owner and configure the role access around it.

If you find this to be an important feature for you, I’d recommend adding an Idea in our forums.

Links:
https://docs.morpheusdata.com/en/latest/administration/roles/roles.html#feature-access-permissions
https://docs.morpheusdata.com/en/latest/infrastructure/groups/groups.html

Examples from what I mentioned above:

1 Like

Thanks Team,

I will figure out the role per your advise.
In summary, if a VM is under “discovered” mode. Can user start / stop (no Morpheus agent was installed).
I am new to Morpheus, thanks so much for your help.

Best Regards

Yes, if you have the VMs just as discovered, then it can be started and stopped:

Also, note that you can convert a VM from discovered to managed and not install the agent. This allows you additional benefits/management but just would lack the additional agent features. As mentioned though, it is not required to be managed to turn if on and off.

If you need some in-depth assistance, feel free to reach out to your account manager for training or to create a technical request to have a Morpheus expert to assist you. Hope that helps!

1 Like

Hi Just need clarify a bit. Does a VM discovered mode is 1 licensed of Morpheus or not?
I do understand that the licensed is counted once the VM is under managed node. Am I correct?

Thanks

The discovered VM will use a license once discovered. Converting it to managed will not consume an additional license. So, if you have 75 VMs discovered by Morpheus, this will use 75 licenses. If you convert all of them to managed, you’ll still only use 75 licenses. It will allow you to control items with roles, groups, run tasks, etc. by converting it to managed. Note that having the agent installed as well, either at the time of managed or later, will allow more granular metric collection and running tasks securely without needing network/service account access, for example.

What is a Workload Element or WLE (for purposes of Morpheus licensing)?

Converting Discovered Resources to Managed Instances

Morpheus Agent Key Features

Hope that helps!