Morpheus Agent - Is there an easy way to find updates and do the updates?

Hi everybody,

We know how to install the Morpheus Data Agent (while provisioning or as Day-2 operation) but we are not sure how to find out about available updates (beside reading the documentation and analyse the installation) and what commands to use for the updates.

It starts with the need to find out about the installed agents and their versions, this can be accomplished with a script or a Plugin and we have this already running …

Now we would like to know about the best way to find out about available new versions for an installed Agent - how can we “automate” this and where to find information:

• Is the online documentation the best source for information, and do we need to crawl the web page then?
  • Does the Supplement Package install all agent versions and we can derive something from the installation, but what, if we normally do not use the Supplement Package?
  • Is there any other way to find out the most current available version, like an URL for Download, and can we search the URL easily?

Also, how would we update then? Is there any documentation about updating an Agent - or is this like a normal installation over an existing one and the same command?

By the way: Why do we only have “Install Agent” in the UI but not “Update Agent” (including version analysis and update command)? This would even be better than an own script or Plugin… like with other software products where we get the information about newer versions and just hit the button…

Any help is greatly appreciated and also pure ideas would bring us further.

Thank you,
Kai

For an overly quick reply (low on time today):

1. Install Agent also triggers ‘Upgrade Agent’ on the systems, so the same API / UI call works for either.
  2. With v7.0.5 release, we have the plugin core updated to support Guidance plugins. The sample guidance plugin actually does what you’re looking for. It’ll list out of date plugins and give you the ability to execute the upgrade via the UI/API. I believe the plan is to host this on share.morpheusdata.com shortly so it does not have to be built manually.
1 Like

I see an ‘Upgrade Agnet’ option in the UI. (v7.0.5)
Screenshot from 2024-08-19 10-52-26

Here is the API endpoint you can use: Upgrade Agent

1 Like

Hello Chris, hello Tyler,

Thank you for the quick answers and also for guidance that is leading to the goal! I can only mark one of your answers as “solution” but I find both are being this.

Now I can move on and also help some customers who do not know about it yet …

Cheers,
Kai